There's no point to any of this. It's all just a... a random lottery of meaningless tragedy and a series of near escapes. So I take pleasure in the details. You know... a Quarter-Pounder with cheese, those are good, the sky about ten minutes before it starts to rain, the moment where your laughter become a cackle... and I, I sit back and I smoke my Camel Straights and I ride my own melt.
~ Reality Bites

Monday, April 5, 2010

Addiction and Family....


Just Another 20 Something here… talking about Addiction. Its something that affects every socioeconomic status, race, religion, culture and gender. It has not boundaries and It is something I have had to deal both as an individual and as part of a family of addicts. What makes someone become an addict? Is it genetics?

Recent study shows that genetics play a significant role in the addiction process. As any good Irish family has, we have had alcoholics on both sides and in several generations. The researched guided me towards not wanting to continue the cycle. After college I stopped drinking on a regular basis. I don’t judge people who drink or myself if I have a binge drinking night, but I am trying stop the cycle with my generation.

I also watch the family of Mr. Man. He was raised around addicts and grew up watching what it does to people and how it affects not only the user by the entire family. This intern made it a mission for both of use to stop the cycle within our future generations. Most of all we want our children to be able to make mature decisions on their own about the negative sides of our culture and society.

Addictions affect users physically, mentally and emotionally. This then affects the family through their emotionally attachment to the addict. My family has been affected in many ways, but I also feel that it has brought me closer to them in different ways. I love the people and family around me even if they are broken or an addict. I have learned to except the people around me for who they are, and try to help them by encouraging them to made changes in their lives. I learned that judging does not effect people an a positive matter, and instead encouraging them to want to change their lives.

Wow I sound like a paper for addiction… im done. Just something to think about as just another 20 something begins to think about what I want for their children and the world we want them to grow up in. I hope for the best but live in the reality that addiction is here to stay and it is my mission as a parent to prepare them for what is out there like my parents prepared me.

“Watch your thoughts; they become your words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become your character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.” ~ Frank Outlaw

No comments:

Post a Comment